Superior Hiking Trail — Oberg Mountain Trailhead to Cascade River State Park
- Lutsen Resort and Sea Villas
- On Lake Superior. Courtview rooms or upgrade to lakeview rooms.
Historic Scandinavian lodge with handhewn beams and fireplace.
Upgrade to hand-crafted log homes overlooking lake, lakeside
villas, luxury condominiums. In-room whirlpools and fireplaces
available. Lakeside fine dining, pub with casual dining. Pool,
whirlpool, sauna, complimentary par 3 golf, shuffleboard, pebble
beach with evening campfires, covered bridges, walking trails.
- Caribou Highlands Resort
- Nestled in the Sawtooth Mountains and 1/4-mile from the hiking
trailhead, our lodge rooms offer spectacular mountain views.
Fireside dining, lounge, whirlpools and sauna available in main
lodge. Enjoy our indoor and outdoor pools, tennis courts, horseback
riding, gift shop, deli and bakery all on site.
- Solbakken Resort
- Cabins and fireplace suites on Lake Superior. On site newly
restored Sawbill Lodge with whirlpool, sauna and fireplace lounge.
Northwoods decor and handmade quilts. Book shop and lending
library. Meals at nearby restaurant.
Hiking Map Overview
- Oberg Mountain (Forest 336) to Lutsen Ski Hill (6.8 miles)
- A challenging section with many ups and downs. Scenic
overlooks at Oberg and Moose Mountain. Maple forests to
boreal forest of spruce, birch, balsam fir and alder. Trail
emerges at Poplar River gorge.
- Lutsen Ski Hill to Caribou Trail (6.4 miles)
- Hike along the Poplar River and Lake Agnes. Maple forests
to boreal forest of birch, aspen, pine and spruce. Spur to
White Sky Rock overlook and view of Caribou Lake.
- Caribou Trail (Cook County Road 4) to Cascade River State Park (9.4 miles)
- Follows the ridgeline offering views of Lake Superior
through hardwood forests, crossing many streams. A variety of
habitats including maple forests to cedar groves, massive
beaver dam to wide-open hillsides.