Superior Hiking Trail — Caribou River Wayside to Oberg Mountain Trailhead
- Superior Ridge Resort-Motel
- Located 1.5 miles west of Temperance River with its spectacular
rocky gorge and cauldrons. Offers single bedroom condo or gas
fireplace unit, each with VCR, TV, two queen beds, full bath,
vaulted knotty pine ceiling and Lake Superior view. Sauna on site.
Meals at nearby restaurant.
Hiking Map Overview
- Caribou River Wayside to Cook County Road 1 (8.7 miles)
- This relatively flat section passes through several
habitats, including the Caribou River, Two Island River,
Alfred's pond (floating bog), northern hardwoods, marsh and
an old mine site.
- Cook Country Road 1 to Temperance River State Park (8 miles)
- Excellent northern hardwood stand. Striking overlooks
with 2 miles along Cross River. A 1.5 mile spur trail
connects to Schroeder.
- Temperance River State Park to Britton Peak (4.8 miles)
- Most heavily used section. From Carlton Peak which offers
tremendous views of Lake Superior to the roaring river with
its deep, narrow gorge, waterfalls and glacial potholes.
- Britton Peak to Oberg Mountain (5.7 miles)
- An easier section of trail, beginning with maple and
birch and ending with spruce, balsam and cedar. LeVeaux
Mountain loop offers great views of Lake Superior.